Overview of Physical Implementation
The "stuff" out of which we make systems.
- Integrated Circuits (ICs) -
- CL, state elements, analog interfaces.
- Printed Circuits (PC) boards -
- substrate for ICs and interconnection,
distribution of CLK, Vdd, and GND signals,
- Power Supply -
- Converts line AC voltage to regulated DC low voltage levels.
- Chassis (rack, card case, ...) -
- holds boards, power supply, provides physical interface
to user or other systems.
- Connectors and Cables.
- Primarily Crytaline Silicon
- 1mm - 20mm on a side
- 100 - 100M transistors
(25 - 25M "gates")
- 3 - 10 conductive layers
|2000 - min feature
size ~ 0.18um =
0.18 x 10-6 m
CMOS most common -