Announcements and Upcoming Events:
- 03/20/07 - Please note that the Midterm 2 review is WEDNESDAY,
3/21, 7-9 p.m. in 306 Soda Hall.
- 03/14/07 - Nathan's sections are cancelled tomorrow, 3/15, due to
illness. Please feel free to email him any questions you may have.
- 03/14/07 - Homework 4 is available here.
- 03/08/07 - Homework 3 is available here.
- 02/21/07 - The BTree Visualizer Applet is available here.
- 02/16/07 - Homework 2 is available here.
- 02/15/07 - Friday's Office Hour change: From this Friday
I will be holding my Office Hour from 10:30 to 11:30 at 711 Soda
- 02/08/07 - An animation of the famous 'NOT EXISTS' query is
- 02/06/07 - A summary of clarifications for HW 1 from the
newsgroup is available here.
The deadline has been extended to Tuesday, Feb. 13, at 10:00PM.
- 02/04/07 - You can find the diskmgr source code available for
reference here, and the
source for the global package is available here.
- 01/23/07 - Homework 1 is now available here.
- 01/18/07 - The Eclipse version of Homework 0 had an invalid
.classpath associated with it. A version of the zip file with the
correct .classpath is here.
- 01/15/07 - Homework 0 is now available here.
- 12/1/06 - This is the initial version of this page. Welcome
to the course!
Lectures: Tuesday & Thursday, 11am -
12:30pm, 2040 VLSB
1pm - 2pm
2pm - 3pm
4pm - 5pm
- Mary Roth
- Eben M Haber
- Office: 687 Soda. This office is on loan to
us from Professor Mike Franklin. We will only be in the office
Tuesdays and Thursdays, do not try other times.
- Office Hours: Thursdays, 1:15-2:15, other
times by appointment.
- Nathan Burkhart (cs186-ta [at] cory.eecs.berkeley.edu)
- Office: 511 Soda
- Office Hours: Wed. 2-4
- Eirinaios Michelakis (cs186-tb [at]
- Office: 711 Soda
- Office Hours: Fri 10:30-11:30
The newsgroup ucb.class.cs186 will be used
communicate information on the course and assignments. You should read
We will be using Database Management
Systems - 3rd Edition by Ramakrishnan and Gehrke. ISBN
McGraw Hill, 2002. Be sure to get the third edition!
- Project Assignments: 40%
- Exams: 60%
- Tentative Breakdown, subject to change/adjustment as
|Percentage of Overall Grade
|Midterm 1 (2/22)
|Midterm 2 (3/22)
|Project 1 - Buffer
|Project 2 - B-Trees
|Project 3 - Query
|Project 4 - Joins
|Project 5 - Web
Notes on grading (please read):
- The percentages are subject to change as circumstances dictate.
- Since exams are the main indicators we have of individual grasp
of the material, we reserve the right to adjust final letter grades
based on exam performance. In particular, students who do not
achieve a passing average on the exams will not receive a passing grade
in the class.
- We will be following the EECS
departmental policy on Academic Honesty, so be sure you are