Cardboard Prototype/Messing Around
In an effort to first understand this assignment, we lasercut a cardboard box. On one side, we prototyped a sliding mechanism that would cover and uncover the aperture. Unfortunately, this box ended up being useless, because we decided we wanted to circumvent the blackening of the inside by using a different material--acrylic.
In the Invention Lab makerspace, we found acrylic material that was glossy on oneside and matte on the other. The matte side was perfect for the interior. Then we cut six sides of the box using the Trotec Laser Cutter in the Invention Lab, using finger joints to create a digitally fabricated box.
Neither of us had actual experience with manual settings before, so testing out the different settings (ISO, aperture, focus/zoom, f-stop) was a challenge. In the beginning, everything just looked like ultrasounds or sadness.
Shout out to Stephanie Daffara from our class for helping us realize that too much light was coming in from the hole for our camera and helping us fix that by lending us her jacket to use as a cover.