||Essay Proposal Due
||Peer Reviews Due
The final lecture for this course (April 27th) will be at 7pm pacific time rather than the normal lecture time.
Weekly Readings and Surveys
Readings are "required", "recommended", or "extra". Required readings must be done before class for the
discussion to make sense. Recommended readings will be used as major sources in lecture, but I won't assume
you've read them.
Please complete this survey by TUESDAY 04/13 by 11:59pm pacific time
- Highly Suggested: de Cardenas, Antonio, "Patent vs. Copyright Protection for Computer Software"
- Highly Suggested: Stallman, Richard, "Misinterpreting Copyright A Series of Errors"
- Highly Suggested: Mullin, Joe, "Your criticisms are completely wrong: Stallman on software patents, 20 years in"
- Optional: Stallman, Richard, "The Danger of Software Patents"
- Optional: Heckel, Paul, "Debunking the Software Patent Myths"
Please complete this survey by Monday 04/05 at 11:59pm pacific time
Please complete this survey by Monday 03/29 at 11:59pm pacific!
Enjoy Spring Break! Note that your peer grades for Essay 2 are now due on 03/30 at 11:59pm pacific time.
No class or discussion this week!
Please complete this survey by Monday 03/08 at 11:59pm pacific time!
Please complete this survey by Monday 3/1 at 11:59pm pacific time!
Please complete this survey by Monday 2/22 at 11:59pm pacific time!
U.S. Tech Companies and Chinese Censorship and Surveillance:
The U.S. ban on TikTok and WeChat:
Historical Censorship and Surveillance in the U.S.:
Please complete this survey by Monday 2/15 at 11:59pm PST.
- Required: Yang, Op-Ed: Andrew Yang: Make tech companies pay your data
- Recommended: MacMillan, Anderson, No PlHide: Colleges Track Students, Everywhere
- Extra: Belkin, No Place to Hide: Colleges Track Students, Everywhere
- Extra: Powazek, I'm Not The Product, But I Play One On The Internet
- Extra: Menand,Why Do We Care So Much About Privacy?
- Extra: Rachels, Why Privacy Is Important
Please complete this survey by Monday 2/8 at 11:59 PM. As usual, late surveys will be accepted.
Please complete this survey by Monday 2/1 at 11:59pm PST. Late surveys will be accepted.
- Required: Watters, "Cheating, Policing, and School Surveillance
- Recommended: Harwell, Colleges are turning students phones into surveillance machines, tracking the locations of hundreds of thousands
- Recommended: Smith, "The Machines Are Learning, and So Are the Students
- Recommended: Upson, "How an Epic Series of Tech Errors Hobbled Miami's Schools
- Extra: Reich, "Ed-Tech Mania Is Back
- Extra: Carey, "An Online Educationthrough? A Master's Degree for a Mere $7,000
- Extra: Khan, "I Started Khan Academy. We Can Still Avoid an Education Catastrophe.
Please complete this survey by 11:59 PM on Monday night.
In future weeks, readings will be required and there will also be a survey to fill out.