Midterm 1 Information
- Time: 8pm - 10:10pm Thursday 9/15 (exam will start promptly at 8:10pm)
- Locations Seating assignments will be emailed to you on Wednesday 9/14.
The exam is closed note, except for:
- A 1-page (front and back) hand written sheet of notes that you create yourself (it may not be shared).
- The Midterm 1 Study Guide. A copy of this study guide will be provided with your exam.
You will write your answers on the exam itself. Scratch paper will be provided.
Please bring your Cal student ID.
The exam will cover all course topics through Chapter 1.7 of Composing Programs, except for Newton's method (1.6.5) and decorators (1.6.9).
Particular emphasis will be given to user-defined functions, assignment, iteration, higher-order functions, and environment diagrams. (The most challenging recursion questions in the course don't appear until Midterm 2.)
You should be prepared to answer questions that relate closely to the projects and homework assignments (not including challenge problems). You should also know how to draw an environment diagram by hand.
The best way to study for the midterm is to work through practice problems. The course staff has put together the following resources:
The CS 61A course staff is hosting two events over the weekend:
- Guerrilla section on Saturday, 9/10 in 241 Cory from 12 - 3 pm.
- Midterm 1 review session on Sunday, 9/11 in 155 Dwinelle from 12 - 3 pm.
HKN is hosting a review session on Saturday, 9/10 in 2050 VLSB from 2 - 5 pm
Office hours next week will include topical review.
Please fill out the alternate exam request form by Sunday 9/11 @ 11:59pm. Expect an email confirming your alternate time.
If you are a DSP student, you should have received an email from Kelly Liu. If you haven’t, please shoot her an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).