Midterm 1 Information
The exam will be on Friday 2/17 from 7:10pm - 9:10pm. Please arrive by 7:00pm. We will start promptly at 7:10pm.
The exam rooms are 1 Pimentel, 2050 VLSB, 145 Dwinelle, 2040 VLSB, and 2060 VLSB. We will assign you to an arbitrary seat for the exam. If you want a left-handed desk or want to request something else about your seat assignment (for example, you recently broke your foot and need an aisle seat), please fill out this form by Tuesday 2/14 @ 11:59pm.
We will email you your assigned room and seat on Thursday before the exam. If you do not receive a seat by Thursday night, please make a private Piazza post to let us know.
You must bring your Cal student ID or a government-issued photo ID. The exam is open-note, so you may bring an unlimited amount of notes, slides, books, practice exams, or other paper materials. You may not use any electronic devices.
You should bring scratch paper and a copy of the Midterm 1 Study Guide. We will not grade your scratch work, so you must write your answers on the exam itself.
You are responsible for the sum total of human knowledge from the beginning of recorded history, with particular emphasis on the content of this course. Historically, we don't really have time for much other than course content. You should assume that anything we've covered up to the time of the exam might be covered. We are reasonable, of course: you need not expect that material from the immediately preceding week will be emphasized.
The best way to study for the midterm is to work through practice problems. The course staff has put together the following resources:
- Past exams and solutions
- Study resources
- Python Tutor for drawing environment diagrams
The weekly schedule has times and locations of review sessions:
- The tutors will be hosting a guerrilla section on environment diagrams, higher-order functions, and recursion on Saturday 2/11 12pm - 3pm in 247 Cory.
- HKN is hosting a review session Sunday 2/12 10am - 1pm in 2050 VLSB.
- CSM will be hosting a midterm review on Wednesday 2/15 8pm - 10pm in the Wozniak Lounge (430 Soda).
- The TAs will be hosting a last-minute question and answer session Friday 2/17 2pm - 3pm in Pauley Ballroom in lieu of normal lecture. There will not be a lecture or any prepared materials, so come with questions.
Office hours Wednesday and Thursday will be topical review sessions. The schedule of topics is posted on the office hours calendar.
If you cannot take the exam at the scheduled time, fill out the conflict form by Sunday 2/12 @ 11:59pm. Expect an email confirming your alternate time.